Sunday, August 17, 2008

The City of Children



This movie is a a short collection of photos I took the first day we went to the orphanage to set up clinic. (the photos of me with some of the children were taken by other children using my camera) I snapped some shots as we were walking down to the building we would be setting the Farmacia up in. Then, when the children came through to receive their worming pill I snapped some more. You can see Sherry encouraging various children to CHEW the worming tablet...yeah, ick! Poor kids! It wasn't all bad, though, because we followed it up with a piece of candy and a toy for each child. We had an assembly line going! Paula and Sherry both popped the wormer tablets into their mouths and passed them on down to Yosanda who popped a candy into their mouth who passed them on down to her young son who poppped a toy into their hand and waved them on out the door again. Once out the door, they formed another line and the dentist went down the line looking into each of their mouths. As he gave the "thumbs up" on each child, his assistant drew a happy face on the back of their hand to show that they had already had their teeth checked and passed. Our dentist was amazed at what great shape all their teeth were in! I don't think any of the orphanage children had to have any dental work done. After we finished with the children, we began seeing people from the surrounding area who had come to be seen by the doctors, dentist, optometrist, physical therapists...and, of course, nearly all of them passed through my area, the Farmacia (Pharmacy)! But, to keep the movie short, I only used the photos of the children from the orphanage...no other scenes from that day.

The day we set clinic up at the orphanage was our final day of clinic. It was my favorite day! I hadn't realized how much we would get to hang out with the kids. We saw them in the morning before we opened up to the crowd of waiting townspeople. And, they were around throughout the day. We were the third or fourth mission group from our church to come to that orphanage this summer...so, the kids were not a bit shy, and were so excited to see us again. Nearly everyone clamored to have their photos taken. After a while, I started letting the children take turns using my camera to take photos themselves. They loved doing that! And they did a really good job! Thanks to the kids (and Michelle and Nelson, too), I have some photos of myself this trip, too!

(Oh...as to the audio in the background of the movie, I hope it is fine(!)...my Spanish is so limited that I can't understand much of what is being said! So, if I picked a song that totally does NOT fit the scenes, well, chalk it up to the fact that I had no idea what I was picking!!!)


(Wow! I was so excited when I saw that blogger recognized my muvee files...I was planning on putting a BUNCH of movies on the blog! But, it has been over an HOUR now and blogger is STILL working on uploading the movie to my post! This is just WAY too slow! So, I guess that means movies will be few and far between. sigh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment